The history of the company goes back to 1776, when it was set up as an independent family business. Most involved in the history of the company were three families: de Henzel, Honeyborne and latterly, Silver. Joseph Silver leased the Moor Lane Glasshouse at Briar Lea Hill. His daughters married William Stevens and Samuel Cox-Williams, who took control of the business in 1847. The company became subsequently known as the Stevens and Williams Glassworks. Many of the creations became quality museum pieces. The trading name Stevens and Williams was used until the 1930s when the company became Royal Brierley Crystal to signify its Royal Warrant appointment as glassmakers. The first Royal Warrant was awarded by King George V and the most recent by HRH Charles, Prince of Wales. The company is now owned by Dartington Crystal Ltd.